The North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) is following through on its commitment to hire local contractors to work on the construction of Bois d’Arc Lake.
The four primary contractors of the Bois d’Arc Lake project have hired fifty local firms from Fannin County and the surrounding area to work on an estimated $50 million in projects. The bidding and award process remains for several projects so additional work for local companies is possible.
The following is a breakdown of projects that companies from Delta, Fannin, Grayson, Hunt and Lamar counties are involved with:
- Seventeen local firms have been hired to work on mitigation efforts;
- Sixteen firms are working at the dam site and clearing the reservoir footprint;
- Ten firms are involved in road and bridge construction including the future boat ramps;
- Four firms are providing support for the overall construction program; and
- Three firms are working on the Leonard Water Treatment Plant and two pump stations.
“We committed to use qualified local firms whenever possible and we are doing that,” said Steve Long of NTMWD. “This new lake is already having a positive economic impact on Bonham, Fannin County and the surrounding area, and will continue to do so for years to come,” Long added.
Key projects and related components include:
- Reservoir, raw water intake structure and dam (90 feet tall, two miles long)
- Raw water pump station and 35-miles of raw water pipeline
- Terminal storage reservoir and water treatment plant in Leonard
- Treated water pump station and 25-miles of treated water pipeline
- 3-mile-long bridge plus improvements on over 11 miles of TxDOT and Fannin County roadways
- Environmental mitigation (Includes 17,000+ acres of mitigation and planting 5 million trees; over 70 miles of stream improvements)
- Lake Operations Center, maintenance facilities and recreational boat ramps
NTMWD expects to start impounding (or capturing) water in the fall of 2020.
For more information regarding the construction of Bois d’Arc Lake, please visit www.BoisdArcLake.org.
The North Texas Municipal Water District is a regional wholesale provider of water, wastewater and solid waste disposal services for approximately 1.7 million residents across 10 counties – a service territory covering 2,200 square miles.