Recreation and Economic Development
New activities like lake fishing, boating and nature viewing will expand local recreation. This will draw visitors to the area and offer new commercial and industrial opportunities. According to an independent economic analysis1, projected benefits include:
- $166 million of annual economic activity per year in Fannin County.
- Non-local recreational visitors to Bois d’Arc Lake could contribute $17 million to $22 million annually to the Fannin County economy and increase local labor income between $6.2 and $8.3 million.
- New permanent and weekend residents will contribute more than $81 million annually in economic activity in Fannin County.
- All full development, property taxes on new housing alone will add $1.9 million to Fannin County tax revenues, $3.9 million annually to school district revenues, $303,000 per year to local sales tax revenues, and $183,000 annually in hotel occupancy taxes.
- Demand for waterfront and near waterfront homes will support residential construction of approximately 3,200 homes over a 30-year period.
- 2,400 new, long-term jobs in Fannin County.
1 Clower, T. & Weinstein, B. (2012, revised January 2015), Update of the Economic, Fiscal, and Development Impacts of the Proposed Lower Bois d’Arc Reservoir Project.